Categories
Business News

Stuffed on Vine serves up unique burgers in Over-the-Rhine

Michael Daniels and Charlena Calloway have a brand new burger for Cincinnatians to try. The husband and wife duo officially opened their new restaurant, Stuffed on Vine, on March 1. Located in Over-the-Rhine, just a block east of Findlay Market and a few doors north of Tuckers, OTR’s newest eatery seeks to offer affordable food with a homey feel.

Daniels and Calloway both grew up in Cincinnati, but had been living in Atlanta for the past 13 years. The couple moved back home to be closer to family, and job circumstances led to the new venture.

“I developed my Stuffed Burger down in Atlanta, and had been selling them along with home made barbeque on weekends,” Charlena explained. “I’ve always loved cooking for friends and family, and it just made sense to try having our own place.”

Though the actual patty construction is a secret, the signature Big Lene burger boasts a combination of mushrooms, onion, bell peppers, hot sport peppers, four cheeses and mayonnaise tucked inside a generous portion of ground beef. With the exception of a poor rendition from Burger King, Lena’s creation is extremely unique to the area.

“Every bite of the burger is a different flavor experience,” said Calloway. “You’re not allowed to cut into the burger – if you ask for a knife, I’ll say not until you take a bite first!”

Other menu items include wings with a wide array of sauces, made-fresh-daily in house chili, tilapia salad, a variety of sandwiches and a killer take on the Cincinnati coney (according to this writer). The coney is a kosher beef dog with the special chili containing tomatoes, bell peppers, ground beef and a slightly spicy kick. There are weekly specials, and on Sundays folks can stop by for a traditional dinner – $8 buys one meat, three sides, and a bread – for a real Southern style treat.

The owners have signed a one-year lease on the 4,000-square-foot space that was once home to Stenger’s Cafe. The couple has worked to refine the interior – the original bar and counter have been refinished, and the tin ceiling remains in stellar condition. There are small tables along the side wall, classic black and white tile on the floor, and a big screen television near the back of the space for friends to gather to watch sports games over food.

As Michael and Charlena get settled in to their new business in the heart of Over-the-Rhine, they are also excited about the changes that have occured in the historic neighborhood they left in 1998.

“It’s really great, what they’ve done on Vine Street,” said Daniels. “These kids around here are saying, ‘How do you know? You’re not from here!’ but we grew up right around the corner. We remember how it used to be. It’s amazing how quickly the development is moving north. I guess you don’t see it when it’s happening right before your eyes.”

At the end of the day, the duo wants to have a comfortable, reasonably priced community spot where customers will walk away completely satisfied. “It’s like I always say,” Charlena said with a smile, “when the burgers are stuffed, you are too!”

Stuffed on Vine is located at 1720 Vine Street in Over-the-Rhine. The restaurant is open Tuesday through Thursday 11am to 9pm, Fridays and Saturdays 11am to 11pm, and Sundays from 1pm to 8pm. Stuffed on Vine is cash only, and patrons are asked to call ahead for the Sunday menu at (513) 338-7657.

Stuffed on Vine on Urbanspoon
Stuffed on Vine photograph by UrbanCincy contributor Jake Mecklenborg.

Categories
Business Development News

OTR leaders look to past for Brewery District’s future

In 2006 volunteers and community leaders developed an urban master plan for Over-the-Rhine. The plan developed goals and strategies to help reinvigorate the historic neighborhood, but now a familiar group of community leaders is looking to take the plan to the next level.

The new planning effort announced today by the Brewery District Community Urban Redevelopment Corporation (BDCURC) and Glaserworks will focus on the northern part of the neighborhood surrounding Findlay Market and the Brewery District. Organizers say that the goal is to take a more targeted economic approach.

“This is not really a comprehensive master plan, but rather a process to form a development plan for the area,” explained BDCURC executive director Steven Hampton. “We’ve got different buildings and building heights than the rest of OTR, and we are looking at how we can best use those assets.”

The 2006 plan, for which this planning effort is based, called for a number of items that have since moved forward including the Cincinnati Streetcar, Urban Mix Zoning District and the branding of the Brewery District. Still though, leaders say more needs to be done for the historic sub-area of OTR which includes an estimated 44 structures that were at one point used for beer brewing purposes.

“We’ve had some good successes being a volunteer group with virtually no budget, but now we are looking for official partners like Glaserworks and funding options for this next effort”

There is reason for hope in this long beleaguered area of Over-the-Rhine though. Rookwood Pottery and Christian Moerlein have opened up major operations in the area, and Findlay Market has experienced tremendous success over recent years. Hampton also says that the future of the area with the streetcar looks bright.

“As a whole everyone has struggled with the economy, but there has been more interest as the streetcar gets closer to fruition,” Hampton said. “We’re getting closer from a couple of different angles, and a lot of smaller investment has kept the area moving forward.”

The planning effort will start in earnest this spring and will look to capitalize off of the neighborhood’s existing urban assets. True loft-style residences, hillside development, large warehouses and typical Over-the-Rhine building stock all exist in the northern reaches of the neighborhood. And this is where community leaders believe the future lies.

“You’re going to see a neighborhood that’s really a mixed-use, walkable neighborhood which has protected its industrial and small businesses while also bringing in new ones,” Hampton concluded. “We’re not reinventing the wheel here. This is how the area is built, and that’s how it will continue to function. We’re just hoping to capitalize on that.”

Categories
News Transportation

Cincinnati to install second on-street bicycle corral in OTR

Cincinnati’s second on-street bicycle parking facility will be installed on Main Street in Over-the-Rhine (OTR) this week. The on-street parking is part of the city’s overall effort to dramatically improve its bicycle infrastructure over the coming years.

The new on-street bicycle corral will be installed just south of Park+Vine (map) and will accommodate 14 bikes. City officials say that the bike corral has been ready since November 2010, but warmer weather was desired for installation.

“Bockfest seemed like the perfect opportunity to showcase the burgeoning use of bicycles in Over-the-Rhine,” explained Department of Transportation & Engineering (DOTE) planner Melissa McVay. “This will also be a great way to demonstrate the City’s support for bicycles as a viable means of transportation.”

The location is currently a no parking zone and will avoid the loss of any on-street automobile parking spaces. Fabrication, of the bike corral, was performed by Cincinnati-based Vulkane Industrial Arts. The first corral installed in Northside last year cost $1,000, while the new OTR corral cost $4,000.

Categories
Arts & Entertainment News

Myriad of events at Final Friday offer fun start to weekend

Head down to the Over-the-Rhine arts district tomorrow, February 25 for an evening of interactive and interesting activities during February’s Final Friday gallery walk.

* The Urban Expansion Development office at 1344 Vine Street will be hosting a Grand Opening and Art Show with wine, cheese, music and work from three different artists – Molly Reckman from Chicago, Linda Loschavo from Mt. Adams, and photography from Joshua Timmermans.

* The YES Gallery at 1417 Main Street will have an interactive art display from 6-10pm – a 24 foot mural that visitors can help to color, using 5 foot paint markers. The artists will be giving out free screen prints by the artists with regular sized markers.

* Rumor has it window shoppers will be in for a surprise on the 1200 block of Vine. Be sure to wander by between 7pm and 8pm.

* 4U Fashion Boutique and Sebastian Rey Skin Awareness will be hosting an organic and natural skin care demonstration from 5-9pm at the boutique, located at the corner of 12th and Jackson Streets. Sebastian Rey will be hosting product demonstrations throughout the evening, and product samples, refreshments and music will be available through the evening.

* After a terrible storm canceled the Bockfest Parade in 1998, participants have held a “Precipitation Retaliation” – burning a snowman effigy to ward off any potential bad weather for Bockfest weekend. This year’s party will be at Grammer’s bar at 9pm.

All of these events are in addition to the rest of the galleries, restaurants and bars that will be open on Main Street, Vine Street and numerous other places in between. Kick off your weekend by taking in some art, music, performances, food and libations in the renaissance that is Over-the-Rhine. And most importantly, don’t let anyone tell you that there’s nothing to do in Cincinnati.

Final Friday photo provided by 5chw4r7z.

Categories
Business Development News Politics Transportation

Hundreds turn out to support rail transit, raise more than $11k for campaign

More than 250 people from all over Cincinnati poured into Grammer’s last Wednesday, February 16. They gathered to, once again, rally for the future of Cincinnati. Some were there for the future of rail transit in the region, others for smart governance, others for economic growth, but most were there to specifically show their support for the city’s modern streetcar system that will break ground in the coming months.

The fundraising and kickoff event was organized by Cincinnatians for Progress – the group that won with voters in 2009 when the same opposition groups threatened to change Cincinnati city governance into a California-style government by referendum. Now, the same group is mobilized to defeat a similar yet more pointed attack on rail transit.

In 2009 the non-profit group organized thousands of Cincinnatians to campaign with them. It appears the same group is ready and willing to fight against a new measure that would prohibit the city from spending any money on light rail or streetcars for the next decade.

“It’s great for us,” says CincyStreetcar.com founder Brad Thomas. “We have a broad-based coalition of support that is still fired up from Issue 9 and is ready to go to battle for the future of light rail and streetcars in Cincinnati.”

The broad-based coalition of support Thomas speaks of includes the likes of prominent business groups, community councils, prominent politicians and community leaders, labor unions, environmental groups, minority groups, regional planning authorities, and transportation groups.

At the first kick-off meeting for what will be a fight leading towards another November ballot item, Cincinnatians for Progress raised more than $11,000.

“This is evidence that while there may be a small group of individuals that want to limit Cincinnati’s growth, there are more people who are passionate about the future of our city,” exclaimed CFP co-chair Rob Richardson. “This will be another long and hard fought campaign, but Wednesday demonstrated that we are up for the fight.”

To get involved in the second rail transit fight in two years sign up with Cincinnatians for Progress, donate to the effort, get registered to vote, and tell your friends and family how important light rail and streetcars are to the future of Cincinnati.